Reading and Relaxing

Like yesterday, I ventured downtown to find a spot to read some more. Finished reading The Dumbest Generation (How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans) while enjoying my morning coffee at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. The book was alright, though I'm certainly glad I borrowed it from the library instead of paying for it. The premises seemed interesting, but I think many of the author's points weren't suited for what the rest of the title implied. He threw out the same statistics over and over and over again of how people don't read enough, which is why students are consequently under-performing in standardized tests, but doesn't really relate it to the impact of technology. The book should have been titled The Dumbest Generation (Our Next President Won't Be Coming from this Group of People) or the like.  The author, Dr. Bauerlein, just complains about how people don't appreciate literary classics and art enough, and in the end, seems to advocate that people should major in civics in order to be considered contributing members of society.

Raspberry macaroon bar (tart?) and iced coffee.

After finishing that, I walked by a hipster-like, hodgepodge of a book store called Crown Books, a couple fronts down and ended up picking up The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, for five bucks. And of course, with this new book in hand, I posted myself up in another cafe for the rest of the day. Yep, so I just enjoyed myself this weekend with some leisurely coffee consumption and reading.

Leave a Reply

Proudly powered by Blogger
Theme: Esquire by Matthew Buchanan.
Converted by LiteThemes.com.