Recap of the Entire Week

Even thought it's only been a week, I feel like I haven't posted anything in a while! To keep it short and sweet, I think I'll just recap the past couple of days, in reverse order.

Monday - Wednesday (6/25 - 6/27)
Work has been great, per usual. These past couple of days, I was working through something which I thought to use PHP for, but then today after typing up a bunch of code, I found that JavaScript was the main cause of the problem! It's always a bit frustrating to work on something for a while and then find out there's an easier way to solve it, but of course, it's a learning process.

Sunday (6/24)
Finished Deception Point! I started Wuthering Heights finally, but I'm not too engaged so far. I'm only on the fourth chapter, so hopefully I'll become more interested. The characters and the relationships between them are so complicated that I get too distracted to wade through the connections.

Saturday (6/23)
Went to the Getty Museum with Joon. The grounds were beautiful and I really love museums in general. I'm definitely no art connoisseur or anything though; my conversations with Joon all sounded something like, "she looks funny," or "this is cool," or "I want to jump on this furniture." Everything was really impressive, of course, and the place was huge!

One of the fountains in one of the courtyards at the Getty Center.

So, after all of that walking, we headed to Koreatown for food and dessert! Even though I've been to K-town about three times now, I still haven't had Korean BBQ. Sigh.

Friday (6/22)
During the evening, I chilled with some coworkers from some other teams;  it was great to be able to meet more people in the office! During the day, there were some celebrations in the commissaries during lunchtime since Brave had just been released. These celebrations included an archery corner (where you could enter a raffle if your arrow stuck to the wall) and trivia (on Scotland, since that's where the movie is set), and I got prizes from both! I thank Carnegie for giving me the knowledge to answer one of the trivia: "What is the national instrument of Scotland?" ("BAGPIPES!") Since, of course, we're the only university in the U.S. that offers a major in bagpiping.

Wednesday & Thursday (6/20 & 6/21)
We (finally?) had orientation and I met all of the other interns! There were ten of us, and four were from Seattle (they were flown down and housed at the Grand Californian, what?!). Thursday, our recruiter took us all to Disneyland, essentially for a day of fun. We went on Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, the Finding Nemo Submarine, the Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, the Tower of Terror, and even the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I really love how the  visual effects for all of the rides were perfect -Disney never settles for anything less and they really put a lot of thought into the whole guest experience! Later, our dinner was at this fancy restaurant called Catal in Downtown Disney. Thank you, corporate!

World of Color Show in Disney's California Adventure
World of Color show in Disney's California Adventure.

We ended up staying in the park pretty much until it closed at 11 PM. The Seattle interns had their Traditions class on Friday, but it was still back to work for the rest of us!


Tuesday (6/19)
So, following that last entry, I never fully talked about Little Tokyo. Besides the fact that I got ramen with my sister, we also met Michael Gladis who played Paul Kinsey in Mad Men! First famous person I've met in LA! (Minus the fact that Juliette Lewis was in my building the other day.) He was actually just borrowing a lighter from one of my sister's friends whom we were meeting up with, and after contemplating that he looked really familiar, we chased him down awkwardly to ask if he was from the show. Slightly awkward, but makes a good story... right?

Michael Gladis from Mad Men
Michael Gladis from Mad Men, with my sister and me, in Little Tokyo.

I have a ton more pictures, but I might just start uploading them to a Picasa album or something and then linking it here so I don't have a bunch in every post.

Leave a Reply

Proudly powered by Blogger
Theme: Esquire by Matthew Buchanan.
Converted by LiteThemes.com.